Monday 23 February 2015

My Homemade Garam Masala

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم



Nothing beat home milled spices! Forget the rubbish in the packets! one of the most famous of all is Garam Masala which is a Mixed spice that is used in cooking within the Sub-continent. What I love about garam masala is that each region, even household has their own unique version, there is no one set recipe, although the majority of whole spices is generic, some may like more cumin in theirs while others may want more cloves and cinnamon. I like to vary mine each time it, I guess I am still trying to find that perfect blend for me :) 
I give you my version here however sometimes I like to add nutmeg and mace, here I have not used but if you would like to add them by all mean try and see what tickles your taste buds. :)



Ingredients

2 Tbsn Cloves
2 Tbsn Black Peppercorns 
10 Large Black Cardamoms
3 Tbsn Whole coriander seeds
5 Tbsn of Cumin seeds 
1 whole Cinnamon stick
1 Star Anise

Method

1. Dry roast the spice by places them into a dry frying pan, keep close watch and keep stirring until the spices begin to release a beautiful aroma and boy will they!! When they are lightly toasted remove and put into a grinder.


 4. Grind the spices until finely milled, I like to do this in batches as it grinds quicker and finer this way. 



5. Once milled put into a plate and allow to cool. Once spice mix has cooled store in air tight container and use whenever you wish to add the aroma of the sub-continent to your dishes! :)



Enjoy!















2 comments:

  1. Garam masala is one of the key ingredient to make any dish specially in sub continent. My mom also uses same home made garam masala. Thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing.mostly women are use garam msala daily in dishes for fragrance and taste.

    ReplyDelete