بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
This recipe was given to me by my wonderful Sister in Law. I love this dish, it's so much fun to make and you can experiment with so many different ingredients, every time I have made it I have used different spices. It is a versatile dish, you can serve on its own accompanied with cooling Cucumber Raita, or have as a side dish. Personally I prefer it as a meal on its own, as it is full of so many flavours and includes meat. But as with any rice dish choice is always yours!
Give it a try and see for yourself! :)
|Keema Kitchri with Cucumber Raita|
2 lbs mince meat (500g)
4 cups of rice (soaked for at least half hour)
1 cup of Toor daal (soaked for at least an hour)
Half cup of Ghee ( can be found at Asian grocery stores)
10 cups of water
2 medium onions
3 Black cardamoms
1 cinnamon stick
6 black peppercorns
5 garlic cloves
2 Inch piece of ginger
Salt (to taste) but maybe around 2
1 tbsn cumin seeds
1 tbsn cumin seeds
1 tbsn ground cumin
1 tbsn ground coriander seeds
1 tbsn fennel seeds
1 tbsn Ras el hanout ( Moroccan spice mix, you can omit if you do not have)
1 tsn Five spice
3 Tbsn salt or to taste
5 spring onions
1. Wash and soak rice in bowl for at least half hour, do the same with the daal, set aside. Next cook onions in ghee on high heat till nicely browned. Add cumin seeds. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
3. Now add the garlic and ginger and all the spices except for the Ras el hanout. Cook for a few minutes until the spices release their aroma, if spices begin to stick to pan add about 2 tbsn of water. Cook till mixture begins to dry.
4. Once mixture has dried add the daal and cook well for about 10 mins.
5.When daal is tender add mince meat and the ras el hanout, cook well till browned through.
7. Now drain the rice carefully and add to the meat mixture, mix gently to ensure the rice is evenly coated.
8. Now pour in the water and gently mix through
9. bring to boil and then turn down low and cover, after about 5 mins or so check and gently stir.
|Rice will begin absorbing the water.|
|Heat diffuser, can be bought from Lakelands|
|Covered with wet clean cloth|
12. After lid has been removed take a fork and gently fluff rice. Do not be too hard as rice will break.
13. Serve Keema Kitchari with Garlic, mint and cucumber Raita, and some lemon or lime wedges, and sprinkle with spring onions.
For Raita recipe, click link below.
Bil hana wa as-shifa!! :)