بســــــــم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Patlicanli mercimekli mualla, Aubergines with green lentils is a traditional dish from southern Turkey, cooked in Olive oil with dried mint. This is a beautiful recipe that is full of goodness, and amazing flavours.
(This will serve roughly between 8-12 people)
2 cup green lentils
4 medium eggplants (aubergine)
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 red bell pepper and 2 green pepper, cut in half and thinly sliced. (Or you can just keep it to red pepper)
2 cans of chopped tomatoes in juice
1-2 cups of olive oil and some extra olive oil for sauteing eggplants
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried mint
2 cup water
1. Wash lentils and cook for about 15 minutes till tender, drain and set aside.
2. Slice aubergines in half ans cut into half moon shapes, lay out on a tray and sprinkle with salt and leave for 10 mins till water releases from them. Then squeeze and dry with paper towel.
3. In a pan heat about 3 tbsns of olive oil and saute the aubergines, do this in batches rather than squeezing them all in one pot. Once sauteed remove and set aside.
4. In a bowl add you partially cooked lentils, peppers, onions, garlic, mint and seasoning. Mix well, check seasoning, add more if needed.
6. Add 2-4 cups of water and cover, cook for 45-50 minutes on medium to low heat.
7. Check from time to time and stir gently.
8. Once cooked leave to cool down and serve with either warm crusty bread or even grilled chicken!
Bil-hana wa ash shifa'a.