بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
There is something about that golden rustic colour of roast chicken and its hearty aroma that warms the soul. Roast chicken or roast anything is so versatile, you can mix together any ingredient and roast away! For this recipe I decided to go for some Mediterranean flavours, lemons, olives, garlic and rosemary. Giving this roast a tangy yet earthy flavour. Everything about this roast is perfect from the taste to its tenderness and crispy skin.
Give it a go and see for yourself!
1 whole chicken ( I used 2 as they were small in size )
1kg King Edward potatoes cut into a size that will roast well.
500g bag of mini sweet peppers
2 garlic bulbs
5 unwaxed lemon
4-5 sprigs of rosemary
Half cup chopped green olives
Half cup extra Virgin Olive oil.
Salt and pepper
1. Wash chicken thoroughly and leave to dry.
2. Zest 4 lemons, and juice 2 of them.
3. Chop up rosemary finely, and crush 4-5 garlic cloves.
Place butter, Olive oil, lemon zest, chopped green olives, crushed garlic cloves, salt to taste and pepper and mix well.
4. Pay dry the chicken and gently begin removing skin from underneath with finger just separating it from the flesh, be careful not to rip the skin. When done take butter mixture and stuff under the skin and spread over the chicken. Take remainder and rub all over chicken on too of skin this time. Ensure all the chicken is covered. Leave to marinade for half hour.
5. Put half garlic bulb half a lemon and sprig of rosemary into the cavity of the chicken.
6. Drizzle extra virgin Olive oil over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Place chicken on roasting tray. Add potatoes around the sides of chicken. ( I used my halogen oven which I set at 250 degrees Celsius ) for oven pre heat to about 425 degrees which is about gas mark 7. If you wish you may roast potatoes separately.
8. After about half hour add the peppers and cook for another 15 mins or until juices run clear from chicken and vegetable are cooked.
9. Turn off and leave chicken to rest for about 15-20 mins so that juices remain within the chicken.
10. Take the remaining juices at bottom of pan and cook down, to use as gravy, no extra seasoning is needed as it is already so flavourful.
|Perfect roast chicken with roast potatoes and peppers :)|
Serve and enjoy!